Monday, November 19, 2012

"Mommy, may I help?"

Young children have a naturally inquisitive side. They want to explore the world around them. And, they love to help!

Joey and Ezra are quite quick to say, "Mommy, may I help?" While a part of me wants to accomplish a task as quickly as possible, another part of me wants to include my children in the activities I do. By doing so, the child fulfills a love of curiosity, learns life lessons and skills, and recognizes his own value in the family (and in the world). Me? I learn patience, rediscover the excitement of my tasks, and bond with my children by completing activities together.

When we allow children to help direct some of their learning by engaging in activities of interest, children learn at an accelerated rate. For example, both Joey and Ezra have learned a lot about harvesting food and seeds by helping to glean seeds from okra, scoop and separate seeds and roasted meat from pumpkins, cut up apple chunks for boiling into sauce, as well as gathering an assortment of food from the gardens: potatoes, green bell peppers, scallions (their favorite to harvest), basil and oregano, tomatoes, etc. Joey would sit for hours popping popcorn kernels from the cobs.

But, here's the catch. I did not ask or demand my children to do any of these things! Either Russell or I started working on a project and the boys merrily joined in. As Joey gets older, he's asking to do more and more: gather eggs from the coop, help carry firewood (especially when we're loading up the stoves), vacuum dust from the floor, even cleaning the bathroom. It surprises me every time Joey expresses such interest in exploring the world around him. However, I am certain that if I did not allow him to help, but denied his desire to help, he would stop asking.

Now there is a caveat. While allowing my children to perform the tasks they want, I also set boundaries to help them be safe while learning about the necessities of life activities. For example, they know to only handle blunt butter knives when helping with cutting fruits or vegetables, and only when they ask Mommy or Daddy first. Similarly, while Joey and Ezra can help carry wood to the fireplace, they know they are not allowed to put wood into a burning stove. Both boys know they have to wash their hands with soap and water before helping prepare food. There is a plentitude of opportunity to gently teach children what such boundaries are, as well as why they are important. Setting such boundaries takes time and consistent reminding, but over time beneficial boundaries will stay with the child.

So, the next time your young (or older) child asks to help, consider it an opportunity for learning. Learning is not restricted to "academic" subjects and even the academic subjects - reading, writing, mathematics, science, social studies, etc. - are evident in the simplicity of day-to-day life. Consider what your child will need to know and how the routines in everyday life are just as important to master as correctly pronouncing phonemes as a basis for reading. 

Let your child help! And, take a moment to post about it in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!